Thursday, September 16, 2010

Sunsets, sunrises and jetlag.


I have arrived!

The plane ride was long but without turbulence and we chased the sun, seeing it set in Toronto and rise in Glasgow. I had a nice first half our of the flight reading plane letters that made me laugh and (almost) cry – thank you girls. We landed just before seven in the morning Scotland time, which felt like only two am our time. What should have been a quick drive to a town called Ayr, near Prestwick, turned into a longer one because of our lack of roadmap and some interesting directions from pedestrians along the way: “Just a wee bit up the road here, you follow the winding road shall we say, then there’s a wee roundabout and you can turn left, or right, at the T-junction, it’s really quite easy, just keep on here.”
We smiled and thanked each person but seriously had no clue where we were or how to get where we were going. Plus every few minutes my mom or I would yell “LEFT!” to remind my dad what side of the road he was supposed to be on. But finally we arrived in Ayr, at my dad’s cousin’s house. I crashed into bed (with my hand-knitted afghan pulled up to my chin) and slept for five hours. And now here I am, looking outside at a blustery but sunny day and thinking: wow.

Everything I have seen so far has looked so startlingly British, like a scene plucked out or Coronation Street. For dinner tonight I ate the best potatoes I have ever tasted and salmon and blackberries picked down the road for desert. If only the residence food would end up tasting that good...

Tomorrow I drive to Edinburgh, then on to St. Monan's, right near St. Andrews, where we're staying for the night. I’m not used to this blog thing, so this may be totally boring for you to read. Sorry if it is. You can comment and say so. I hope you all are well. I’ll write again once I’m in residence and have my internet set up.

Love,
Kathleen
             

2 comments:

  1. yaayyy !! you made it!! (i forgot to give you your 5 dollars) i will have to send you some snail mail soon with it ahaha, whats your address neighbour? I like your blog, good start !! be safe & have fun :) love you justine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic to hear you made it safe and sound. I (like everyone else) envy you for the views you must be taking in and the colourful locals you're meeting.
    ...Can't wait to see if you pick up an accent hehe!

    ReplyDelete